It's Wednesday, and you know what that means... No wiseass, it's not Prince Spaghetti Day, it's time for a new Xbox Live Arcade title to hit the Marketplace. This week, Microsoft brings us PopCap's Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank, and I'll be the first one to admit that I don't know much about the game beyond the fact that it's been explained by many as being "like Metal Slug".
While I absolutely love the Metal Slug series, I'm always wary whenever people say something is "like" something else, because that usually means two things;
- It's probably a cheap knock-off of whatever it's supposed to be mimicking - and therefore nowhere near as good.
- There are enough fundamental differences that separate it from being the title it's apparently based on - probably enough to kill whatever concept makes the inspiration for it so special.
As with all Live Arcade games, this one will have a free demo available, so be sure to try before you buy. Here are the details as per Xbox.com;
Title: Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank
Developer: PopCap Games
Publisher: PopCap Games
Genre: Xbox Live Arcade
Release Date: 1/17/07
Console: Xbox 360
Xbox Live: Yes
HDTV Support: 720p
Full Game: 800 points ($10)
ESRB Rating: E10 (Everyone 10+)
From the Xbox.com product description;
"Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank unleashes adrenaline-soaked side-scrolling shoot-'em-up arcade action. With a blast of retro eighties videogame chic, Heavy Weapon brings classic shooter action and explosive power to Xbox Live® Arcade.
Fight through 19 story-based missions to upgrade six different weapon banks, or jump into instant action with the blazing Survival mode. Grab your friends and storm across enemy lines in co-operative multiplayer modes! Are you ready for the furious fun of Heavy Weapon?
- Game modes: Prepare for three action-packed game modes: Mission, Survival, and the brand new Boss Rush mode!
- Mission: Play your way through 19 exciting missions, invading countries and beating challenging bosses along the way.
- Survival: How long can you last against ever-increasing waves of enemies?
- Boss Rush: Exclusive to Xbox Live Arcade, challenge all the bosses of Heavy Weapon in succession!
- Multiplayer mayhem: Jump in to intense multiplayer action with up to four players, exclusively in Xbox Live Arcade!
- Weapons variety: Use six upgradeable secret weapons on 19 missions with nukes, mega-lasers, and more.
- Online features: Enjoy voice chat with your friends while battling together. Online leaderboards let you track your mission results.
- Amazing visuals: The enhanced sound effects and original score draw you into the game. Prepare for expanded mayhem with full high-definition widescreen support."- Xbox.com
As for last week's release of Ms. Pac-Man, as I predicted, the 360's d-pad is the main detriment to the title and those 4 way control issues that virtually ruined Pac-Man are back in force. You have been warned. Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - is as frustrating as coming close to breaking a friend's high score but failing because you turned the wrong way thanks to poor controls. (Can you tell this happened to me a few times already?)